Beat The Heat Like A Kid This Summer
It’s the second week of June and temperatures are about to skyrocket.
As we approach summer solstice, we want you to cool down like a child who just found out pizza is for dinner. In other words, have fun with it.
Be a kid again. Live a little. We’ve all heard the saying, “You only live once” (YOLO) and that expression definitely applies here.
These tips will make you feel young again, but use caution, because you’re not as young as you think!
- Buy an inflatable slip n’ slide. Who said you were too old for water slides? Sure, it may hurt a little bit as you may not be as resilient as you were 10 years ago, but it’s still an experience you won’t regret. Slide away with your friends, feel the rush all while getting splashed!
- Have a trampoline? These might be a trend of the past, but if you have one or know someone who does, jump around, feel the breeze, get sweaty and when you’ve had enough, sit along the edges and enjoy a popsicle or two. Exercise in a fun way and stay hydrated with something sweet. It’s a win-win. OR if you’re a risk taker, place a running hose on the trampoline. You know what to do next. No need to explain further.
- Okay, we all did this at one point in our lives. Set up a sprinkler in your front yard. Put on your bathing suit and go for it. Run over it and feel the chill as the cold water makes contact with your skin. Repeat this and bam, you’ll not only be cooled down, but you’ll also burn a few calories, too!
- Go to the pool. Do some laps, play water volleyball, lounge on a noodle or simply lay on your back and take care of some thinking. Sit outside on a pool chair and read a book. When the sun starts to leave you feeling scorched, get back in and do it all over again.
- We’re not advocating for guns. But we are suggesting you consider WATER guns! Maybe you’re too old for this, maybe you’re not. Grab a few friends and have a water gun fight. Perhaps, you just gone done with a long run and it was a sweltering one to say the least. Load your gun, fire it, engage in war and start feeling some cool effects.
- Want to be productive? Wash the car. For most kids, this is an opportunity to get soaked before the work even begins! Pull out all your cleaning products and shine up that vehicle. In between, splash yourself with the hose. Get wet and be constructive!
Sarah Francis is a half-Palestinian journalism junkie, a proud Charlotte, NC native with an oversized sweet tooth, and an active world traveler. Ask her where she’s headed next. (@Sarah_Francis25)