Make It Monday: Easy Taco Bake
Happy Monday! It’s time for another Make It Monday recipe- Easy Taco Bake. This one is super easy and really quick too!
I found the recipe on Pinterest a long time ago, and like most recipes– I always tweak to make it my own. I actually couldn’t find the original recipe site I got this from, but did manage to find it on this site. They call it a Walking Taco Bake.
Easy Taco Bake
- 1 – 1 1/2 pounds of ground meat (hamburger or turkey meat)
- Taco Seasoning (I made my own, but a packet is quicker!)
- 1 can of Cheddar Cheese Soup
- Shredded Cheese (you can use more cheddar like I did, or use mozzarella)
- 1 bag of Fritos (the original recipe recommended Chili Cheese Fritos, but the Flamin’ Hot Fritos add a nice kick!)
Note: the original recipe only uses half the can of cheddar cheese soup and adds milk…
- Start by browning your meat
- Once it’s cooked, drain the grease and add taco seasoning and 1/2 cup- 1 cup of water
- Simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Add the Cheddar Cheese Soup to the meat mixture
- In a baking dish (I used 9 X 13), layer about 1/2 the bag of Fritos. I recommend using cooking spray to grease the dish
- Put a layer of about half of the meat mixture on top of the Fritos
- Spread cheese on top of the meat and Fritos
- Add another layer of Fritos
- Top with another layer of meat mixture
- Top with cheese
- Bake on 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes
Once it’s finished, you can top with any taco toppings you like. You can also put into a tortilla if you want– that’s what I did!
Things I decided once I tried this:
- In the future- I plan to either- use a smaller dish, or just do one thicker layer of Fritos, instead of two layers.
- I only used a pound of meat, and for the larger baking dish, I didn’t quite have an equal spread of meat to Fritos ratio.
- I might try using half the bag of Fritos for the bake, then crushing some additional Fritos on top once it’s done– to give it a better crunch.
Overall- I love the simplicity and how quick this is. It can easily feed a family of 4! Perfect for a taco night, or any night! Let me know if you try this Make It Monday- Easy Taco Bake!
Missed last week’s Make It Monday? Here’s the Bacon Mushroom Swiss Chicken recipe!