Going To The Library – Do People Still Go?
Honestly, I hadn’t thought about going to the library in a really long time. But during the summer, we had my stepdaughter. We wound up going to the library and getting a library card so she would have some books to read. I think we only went once during the summer. So since then, I’ve just been carrying around my library card in my wallet. But… I LOVE to read! I’ve been mostly ordering books on Amazon. And now the bookshelf my fiancé built for me is getting REALLY full!
I started thinking about it about a month ago. Most of the books I’ve ordered, I mostly read just once and then they sit on the shelf. There are a few I’ve read a couple of times since many of them are personal development books. I can glean different things from them each time. But I was thinking about all the money I’ve spent on books… When I could just go to the library and check them out for free. So I decided to put my library card to use!
Going To The Library
A few weeks ago I went to the library to check out some books. One thing I ran into was not finding some of the books I was looking for. Maybe I was looking in the wrong place, but I didn’t see many of the personal development books I was searching for. I did use their computer to look up some, and they didn’t have some of the books. I did find a couple of books and checked those out. But, I also decided I’d check out the fiction books. To be honest, I couldn’t remember the last time I’d read a book for pleasure! And I had NO idea where to start. I wound up going with an author I used to love – Nicholas Sparks. There were a couple of his books. A few I knew I’d read, and the others I couldn’t remember if I had or not! But I wound up getting “Every Breath.”
The Love Of Reading
I read the book in less than a day! I forgot just how much I love to read fiction. The other two books took me a bit longer to get through… but I finally finished the last one yesterday. Then I went to return them last night after work. By this point, I’d asked my Facebook friends for recommendations and had a few authors to search for!
I’ve heard so many good things about “Where The Crawdads Sing” so I looked for that one. I didn’t think they had one available, but turns out they did! It’s the large print edition, but I don’t mind! I also checked out a book by Kristin Hannah called “Between Sisters.” I’m excited to dive into these books!
So, is going to the library still a thing? For me, it’s definitely going to become a more frequent thing! I will say, last night around 6:30 p.m. there were quite a few cars in the parking lot! So maybe I’ve just been out of touch with how many people actually still use the library. But if you haven’t been to your local library lately… I’d say check it out!
I know millennials are making bookstores popular again… but I think supporting your local library is great, and can save you some money!
Libraries Around The CSRA:
- Augusta-Richmond County Public Library System
- Headquarters- 823 Telfair Street, Augusta, GA
- Appleby Branch- 2260 Walton Way, Augusta, GA
- Diamond Lakes- 101 Diamond Lakes Way, Hephzibah, GA
- Friedman Branch- 1447 Jackson Road, Augusta, GA
- Jeff Maxwell Branch- 1927 Lumpkin Road, Augusta, GA
- Wallace Branch- 1237 Laney Walker Boulevard, Augusta, GA
- ABBE Regional Library System – Aiken, Bamberg, Barnwell, Edgefield
- Aiken County- 314 Chesterfield Street SW, Aiken, SC
- Bamberg County- 3156 Railroad Avenue, Bamberg, SC
- Barnwell County- 40 Burr Street, Barnwell, SC
- Edgefield County- 105 Court House Square, Edgefield, SC
- New Ellenton Branch- 113 Pine Hill Avenue, New Ellenton, SC
- Nancy Bonnette Branch- 204 Park Street NE, Wagener, SC
- Nancy Carson- 135 Edgefield Road, North Augusta, SC
- Williston Branch- 5121 Springfield Road, Williston, SC
- Johnston Branch- 407 Calhoun Street, Johnston, SC
- Midland Valley Branch- 9 Hillside Road, Warrenville, SC
- Jackson Branch- 106 Main Street, Jackson, SC